Friday, March 30, 2012

CarryMe Upgrades

There are many things you can do to 'upgrade' your bike, even the dinky little carry me which I had posted about earlier.

In any case, this little bike is somewhat of a plaything, a social bike, a small-run bike, but also sentimental due to the nature of purchase. I have no delusions about turning it into a 'performance' bike, but there are some things that I have done to the bike, here's the what and why.


This sticker came with the Bern Watts helmet that I got from LifeCycle (the bikes too!) and I finally found some use for it. I'm really happy with this no-cost add on. It not only adds to the aesthetics of the bike, I've also gained about 10 Horsepower just by putting the sticker on (if you've been to car forums you'll get the joke :) It also gives me some street-cred, now those kids won't laugh at me when I pull some tricks at the skate park. Next year, X-Games!


To put a bottle cage on the CarryMe, you actually need to put on an adaptor (which I forgot to photograph but will hopefully update). And so I ordered this bottle cage with quick-release clamp from Bicycle Spa. Now I can put a bottle anywhere! After I had placed my order, by some fortune, Steven from Diginexx knew that I had gotten the CarryMe(s) and had very generously given me and my wife the bottle-cage adaptor and a dust cover each! Much appreciated! Now we can drink lotsa water and bring our bike around stealthily during peak hour...

Of all the things that you can do to your CarryMe, I feel that the most essential one will be to replace the stock roller wheels. I really can't explain how much better the new ones are, but rolling is butter-smooth and effortless! Here are some pics for comparison:



For a bike like the CarryMe, the original rollers really aren't that bad, but certainly can't compete with it's replacement which houses Abec7 bearings! If you do only one thing for your CarryMe, this is it!

I have other plans for this bike, nothing grand, but all fun, so stay tuned for further updates!

Disclaimer: I have not been solicited to promote nor do I gain anything from mentioning any shops or service providers in my blog. I am a paying customer and I support local businesses, big and small. 




2 comments:

  1. Hi Khai, may i know where you get those rollers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you can get it here: http://thecyclopedia.com/index.html

      Delete